Ambani is one of 24 Indian billionaires, all but one of whom are poorer than a year ago. Another 29 Indians lost their billionaire status entirely as India's stock market tumbled 44% in the past year and the Indian rupee depreciated 18% against the dollar. It is no longer the top spot in Asia for billionaires, ceding that title to China, which has 28. Russia became the epicenter of the world's commodities bust, dropping 55 billionaires -- two-thirds of its 2008 crop. Among them: Dmitry Pumpyansky, an industrialist from the resource-rich Ural mountain region, who lost $5 billion as shares of his pipe producer, TMK, sank 84%. Also gone is Vasily Anisimov, father of Moscow's Paris Hilton, Anna Anisimova, who lost $3.2 billion as the value of his Metalloinvest Holding, one of Russia's largest ore mining and processing firms, fell along with his real estate holdings.Read more »
Best published scoops
- 4 Where do I start to teach my child Spanish?
- 4 Wearing a pedometer can help in weight-loss battle
- 4 Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart Spend All Night Together
- 3 York developmental psychology professor wins Killam Prize
- 3 THE NEW ATKINS: More user-friendly diet back and, this time, you can eat veggies